Having a treadmill at home has always been seen as a luxury and if you have one, many people tend to not use it. The best treadmills are sometimes expensive, but you could easily find a few cheap ones as well. These treadmills will be perfect if you are looking for something to kick start your fitness and help you get into shape much faster.
Since treadmills are very intricate and many people are not really sure how all of the fundamentals and basics are working, we have set out to look deeper into treadmills and basically, find out what are the most important features that you should consider looking into if you want to buy one for your home.
Here’s a list of best Treadmills for Home Use which is reviewed in this article:
This article should show you exactly how you should go about choosing your next treadmill and it should also allow you to see which treadmills are currently considered to be the best. We have selected a few that we think will be great additions to your home. These treadmills also range quite significantly in price and this will mean that no matter your current income, you should still be able to find a treadmill that will fit your budget.
Key features to consider when buying a treadmill for your home gym
Whether you already have a gym at home or not, the best treadmills for running and walking will be a great way for you to start getting into the fitness lifestyle. These features are what we consider to be the most important and you should definitely spend some time looking at them when you are purchasing a treadmill. These features can also be used as your criterion for judging them:
- Size: Having a treadmill at home is a luxury and even though you can afford it, what is the point if there is not enough room for you to set it up. The size of the treadmill is fundamentally important and when you are looking for a good treadmill, you will need to take the dimensions under consideration. Treadmills come in various sizes and the smaller ones are generally much cheaper as well.
- Motor: The motor is one of the most expensive parts of any treadmill and if you want to have a good motor of more than 3.5 CHP, you will definitely see the price tag being much higher. The cheaper models are still efficient, but they will have motors in the range of 2-3.5 CHP and this will not make too much difference if you are only using the treadmill for fitness.
- Pre-set programs: Treadmills have various pre-set programs and the better your home treadmill, the more advanced programs will be set up on it. The top treadmills are designed for you to have great workout programs and these programs can range between endurance and fitness. It is also advisable to look for a treadmill with programs that have been designed by professional trainers as their knowledge will be irreplaceable.
- Tread belt size and weight limit: The tread belt size will greatly depend on the overall size, but this is something that you will need to look into if you cannot walk or run on a narrow line. The weight limit is also important and if you are a little overweight, this might not be so important for you to look for. But since we recommend a treadmill to anyone looking to get into a healthy lifestyle and improve their cardiovascular endurance, we recommend looking for a treadmill with a weight limit of more than 300lbs.Working out in comfort is definitely a necessity if you want to continue and make it into a lifestyle.
- Additional accessories and stat tracking: The top treadmills are equipped with large and easy to use LCD displays. These displays can be easily operated and if you are looking to improve your workout every day, you will need to have a general idea of your previous performances. While most treadmills are generally equipped with decent stat tracking, you might be fine with a cheaper model that will give you the general info.
Many high-end treadmills also keep the stats stored in various profiles and these will be ideal for multiple members of the family. It will be even better if you can connect an app like myfitnesspal or iFit to the console and monitor all the calories you have taken in during the day.
- Assembly: Having an expert come in and assemble the treadmill for you can add a big chunk to the overall price tag, but many people do have the skills and the capabilities of assembling a treadmill by themselves. If you are looking to save a few bucks on this expense, you should try looking into a treadmill that you can easily assemble from home. If there are too many wires and additional things you need to incorporate, this will become a very expensive venture.
- Warranty: Treadmills usually have two different warranties. The one is for the motor and the other is for the parts. If you manage to find one that will include servicing the treadmill, that will be even better. Paying extra for the warranty is really worth it since the parts and the services are quite expensive and if you are looking to save a few bucks in the long term, the warranty will certainly be a helpful tool that will help reduce these long-term costs.
The above-mentioned 7 features are what we used to judge all of the treadmills that you will still see on our list. With this criterion, we managed to separate the bad ones from the top ones. If you are looking for a different treadmill or even looking to find a treadmill elsewhere, this should be used to help you discern between the best treadmills and ensure that you do get the best possible value for your money
Folding vs. Non-folding treadmills
When purchasing a treadmill for your home, you will need to decide between a folding and non-folding treadmill. Having a folding treadmill will b the best way to save space and after you have used the treadmill, you can easily just fold it up and move it out of the way. Here are a few reasons you should buy either one of these treadmill types.
- Folding: The folding treadmill is designed to minimize the amount of space taken up and they are generally best-suited for the home. These folding treadmills are also quite intricate and they will need to be carefully moved if you no not want to damage anything. One of the main benefits of having a folding treadmill is the fact that the assembly process is not that advanced and most of the times; these treadmills can be set up very quickly.
- Non-folding: The non-folding treadmill is generally heavier and they might also have much more features. These treadmills are not easy to adjust and they will take up a lot of space in the home. We like these treadmills for the more advanced features they have included and this will mean that your stat tracking is usually much better. But, these treadmills are also more expensive and they might need a professional when it comes to setting them up, which could cost you a few more dollars than you might have hoped for.
For home use or for cluttered and smaller homes, we would highly recommend the folding treadmill, but if you do have some additional space or you are planning to make a home gym, you should look into the more advanced and intricate non-folding treadmill. This treadmill will ensure that you have great stat tracking and you will also get much more value for your money in the long term. The non-folding treadmills also have higher weight limits and for some reason, most of them have much better warranties as well.
That being said, here are our reviews for the best home treadmills of 2017:
Best Treadmills for Home Use of 2017 Reviewed
The Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill is one of the top treadmills for those looking to start fitness at home. The treadmill is extremely durable and with an easy to assemble design, you will be saving a lot of extra cash. The thing that makes this treadmill stand out from the crowd is the fact that it is a real space saver. If you are not using the treadmill it can easily be folded up and placed somewhere out of the way.
The treadmill features 6 built-in programs and these programs have been designed for those looking to get started. The programs are designed by good personal trainers, but they might not be the best if you consider yourself to be an intermediate fitness enthusiast. Those looking for a little more resistance will be happy to know that the treadmill is designed with 2 levels of incline and this will be great for those only walking.
The treadmill also features a comfortable cushioning underneath the feet and this will be great if you are struggling with knee and joint problems. The LCD display is also quite basic and will allow you to track some of the basic stats that you might need to see if you are looking to progress and move forward with your fitness.
In terms of pricing, this treadmill is actually really cheap. You might need expert assembly, but you will be able to assemble the entire treadmill yourself with some basic knowledge of tools. The treadmill does not have a great warranty and we have found some problems regarding this matter, but if you are looking for a great budget buy that will save you some space, this treadmill should be the ideal one that you choose.
- Decent durability
- Can be folded to save space
- Can be self-assembled
- Includes good programs for beginners
- Really cheap
- Lacks a good warranty
- Basic stat tracking system
NordicTrack is one of the top brands when it comes to sports and fitness equipment, so it should come as no surprise that we have included the most affordable high-end treadmill on our list. This treadmill is extremely durable and will certainly outlast most of the other treadmills that you could find in the same price range and the decent 2.6 CHP motor might not be that powerful, but you will still be able to get some good use out of it and reach good speeds.
This treadmill is built for the home and especially for those who like to walk on their treadmills. You will have 20 built-in programs that you could choose from and these have all been designed by some of the top personal trainers of NordicTrack. As for the incline, you will be able to improve your resistance and burn some added calories with an incline of 10% and this can easily be adjusted with the console.
The treadmill features a decent sized tread belt of around 20 x 55 inches and this will not take up as much space in your training room. The console is also good and you will be able to easily track most of the important stats. The treadmill also includes a decent 25-year warranty on the motor and a good 1-year warranty on the parts.
The price of this treadmill is not overly expensive and when compared to most of the other top range home treadmills, you will be quite happy to see how much you could be saving. The assembly process on this treadmill is quite tricky and if you are not skilled with some intricate electronics, we recommend that you consider hiring an expert.
- Good durability
- Decent motor
- Includes great incline and 20 programs
- Small enough size for most rooms
- Not foldable
- Needs expert assembly
The LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 treadmill desk has been included for those who work from home and have some limited space that they want to work out with. This treadmill is really one of the smallest you will find on the market today and it will help you to get some much need space in the office, or even when you just need something small around the house.
The treadmill features a decent motor of 2.25 HP and it has 6 shock absorbing cushions that have been added to take some of the shocks off your joints. These will become handy when you are walking blind and you might accidentally misstep. The treadmill also includes an intelliguard feature that will shut it off immediately when it detects that the treadmill is not being used.
The treadmill also includes a desktop and Bluetooth console. The desk can be used for you to work on or even watch your favorite series whilst you are working out. The added Bluetooth console can be used to track the most important stats that you need to know about and also ensure that you can adjust the speed to the speed that you feel comfortable.
In terms of pricing, the treadmill is quite expensive, but it is really functional and will be ideal for those working a lot. Unfortunately, the treadmill does not include those advanced workout programs, but it is backed by a lifetime warranty to ensure that you get the best possible value for your money.
- Great durability
- Added shock absorbing cushions
- Turns of automatically
- Intricate console included
- Lifetime warranty included
- No built-in programs
The LifeSpan Company has been designing trustworthy treadmills for a long time and the TR1200i folding treadmill is another one of their most innovative designs. Much like the desk version, this treadmill is extremely durable and it can hold any individual with a maximum weight of around 300lbs.
The treadmill includes a good 2.5 HP motor and this will give you some decent speeds whilst working out. The built-in LCD console is quite advanced and you will be able to control everything when you are working out. The treadmill includes 21 different programs that you can choose from and all of these programs have been designed and tested by professional personal trainers.
The treadmill is around 20 x 56 inches and this should be small enough to fit into most homes. The only thing we would have liked on the treadmill is the addition of having the ability to incline. You will also receive a lifetime warranty on the parts and the motor and this will include the services, which means that you will not have to worry about covering extra costs down the line.
The treadmill is a little expensive, but it is also quite advanced. If you are looking to get great value for your money, this treadmill will certainly be the right one for you. You also do not have to worry about the assembly process as it is quite easy to fully assemble the treadmill. We highly recommend this treadmill for the value and the overall efficiency.
- Great durability
- Decent size for the home
- No assembly needed
- Includes great programs
- Includes lifetime warranty
- Might be a little expensive
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7603 Electric Treadmill is designed to make life easier for you at home. The treadmill might not be the most durable of treadmills, but it still includes a running surface of 16 x 49 inches. This means that the overall size is also quite small and packing away the treadmill will actually be quite easy.
The treadmill includes a decent 2.2 HP motor and while this is not the best motor, it will still ensure that you do get some great speeds and also some decent resistance when running. Once you are done with this treadmill, it can also be folded up and neatly moved out of the way to make room for anything that you might have planned.
The treadmill includes a small LCD display and will also be great for those looking to see how they have progressed in terms of stats and other features. We also like the fact that the entire treadmill can be controlled with the hand rails and you could easily set up the speed. Finally, you will have 9 built-in programs that you can choose from to help you advance and improve your overall fitness level.
The treadmill is actually really cheap and it is very portable and easy to move. This treadmill also does not include any intricate assembly and you will be able to set any level of incline that you desire when choosing between the 3 available levels. We should also mention that the maximum weight limit is 220lbs, so this treadmill is not the strongest.
- Very functional design
- Good programs included
- No assembly needed
- Can be folded up
- Really cheap
- Lacks a little in terms of durability
We would like to thank you for reading this article and we certainly do hope that you have managed to find the top treadmill for home use. These treadmills have been carefully selected and we have looked at all of their features to ensure that you are able to buy great quality. We would like to recommend the LifeSpan brand for this article and this is thanks to the great warranties and the enormous amount of variety that you will have to choose from when buying one of their treadmills
Please share your thoughts on this article in the comment section and also let us know if you think we might have missed any of your favorites. We would always like to do more research and check your suggestions to include them in some of our other articles to ensure that we have covered all of the best treadmills that are currently available on the market.